Saturday, June 9, 2007

First run at the CC course

Today's group run was this morning at the IU Cross Country course, my first time there. I was so confused by the route, but followed the crowd and sorted it out. When I got home, I looked up the map for the routes (there are several overlapping routes, depending on your distance) so I didn't get so confused next time. NOW it makes sense!

It felt like a slower run for me today, not sure if I'm not recovered from the previous runs this week or if it's actually a harder route. There were some decent hills there, maybe that was it. I've never run on grass so that may have complicated it too. It was a 3 mile run for me but a few in the group did 8 miles. Someday soon I hope to be up to that kind of distance but right now, the shorter distance is kicking my butt! I recover very quickly and feel like I'm ready to go again, but in the midst of the run I fight for every step. Is that normal? I hope it changes soon.

Conditions for today's run were beautiful: 62F and a gentle breeze. My feet were soaked by the end from the dew on the grass, but otherwise it was ideal running conditions for me.

Ben handed out our training guides today. I'm obviously ranked as a "freshman" so I get to follow the easy schedule. :P He then instructed on us on how to do strides. I'd never heard of them (funny I'd heard of fartlek and tempo, but somehow missed "stride" in my reading) but it seems straight-forward enough.

Tommorow's a rest day, woo hoo!

No comments: