Saturday, June 16, 2007

Busy week!

On Thursday, we took the kids on a daytrip to a local amusement/water park so I missed the group run. I couldn't stand to see my box for the day going unaccomplished, so I got up extra early to fit the run in before we left for the day. It was nice and cool at the early hour, only 67F so it was a very comfortable run. I ran the route around my neighborhood which I've been running off and on since I started outdoor running. It's nice to see that my endurance is slowly improving, but I'd like to see more. It annoys me how slow I am but I guess speed will come eventually.

A few neighbors were out for their morning walks while I was running. At the end of my work-out, I was walking to cool-down and one gentleman had some encouraging words. He told me I had "inspired him", in spite of my protests about how slow I am he really boosted my morale with that. :D

Yesterday was a rest day but I wore myself out with other activities--housework, kids, and errands. It showed on today's run. I told the coach that it felt like my legs were made of pudding. Even a couple hundred yards into the run, I knew it was going to be a bear to get through. We were running on the cross country course (grass) again, so that is probably part of it but overall I was just tired before I started. It was the kind of run where if I'd been on my own, I would have quit 5 minutes into it and made it a walk. Since I was out with a group, I had to put forth the effort so I kept trudging along at my slow creeping jog. It took me 37 minutes to do the 5k course and it was taking all of my effort to do that. Ug...at least it was cool out there--65F in spite of the sun.

The group runs definitely help to keep me motivated and try harder. Ben offers a lot of encouragement and reassurance that this stage will pass. I am proud of the effort once it's done, it's just hard to be patient when results aren't immediate. Keep moving...

No comments: