Tuesday, May 17, 2011

May Happenings

Well, so far, so good on the P90X work-outs. I'm staying on schedule with the work-outs and haven't missed one yet. I try to do the work-outs in the morning, then my runs later in the day. The soreness is easing up, now I'm just stiff and exhausted! I'm seeing some progress already but I imagine that some of that is just because I'm learning how to do the moves and I'm not fumbling my way through so much. My body is still adapting to the extra demands that I'm making, at least I think that's why my legs are so wiped out. My legs have been in a constant state of fatigue all week, as in I get tired crossing the room or going up a flight of stairs. It's just adaptation though, right?

I ran in the Morgan County Fallen Officers Memorial 5k last Saturday. The race is one of the flattest in the area and I'd last run it 2 years ago. During the 2009 race, I remember it was incredibly humid and the air just felt nasty. The weather was just about perfect this time though, overcast, 58 degrees, and fairly comfortable humidity. I admit to being disappointed in my race though. In spite of better weather, keeping my brain in race mode, and not taking a single walk break, I ran the course 9 seconds slower than in 2009. Ugh, it's so frustrating! I know that I won't PR every race, but I get aggravated that I'm not improving. My goal for now is to stay healthy/uninjured so I can keep putting in the miles and the cross-training. Hopefully, keeping that goal intact will help the rest of my running to improve. On the plus side, I did see via the online race results that I placed 3rd in my AG (40-49). Even better is that the Mag7 does their season scoring based on the 40-44 AG and I was first in that division. Hooray for being in a weak AG!

Next on the agenda: Geist Half Marathon in 4 days. I've never done this race, so it'll be a new one for me. No expectations, just hoping to enjoy the day and not worry about pace for a change.

No comments: