Friday, May 6, 2011

2011 Flying Pig Half Marathon Report




Race morning: the alarm went off dark and early. Hit the snooze button and nodded off for a few minutes until it went off again. Ugh, that felt like a very short night, I was still so very tired! We dragged ourselves out of bed and ate peanut butter with a banana on a tortilla, then tried not to fall back to sleep again. We got all of our gear ready and left the hotel at 5:50 to make the short trek to the start line. It was still raining, as expected, but we had brought some of those cheap plastic ponchos to keep us dry. It’s always fun walking over to Paul Brown Stadium and seeing the crowds growing in excitement as you draw closer to the staging area.

This was the first year that the Flying Pig had Pig Pens, a.k.a. starting corrals. They had us staged based on the finishing times we had entered on our registration and the corrals went from A through E. Aaron and I were in D so we approached the starting line where A was and then still had a good ways to go to get to our corral. As soon as we entered D, we heard someone joyfully yell “The VICTORS!!!”. I wasn’t expecting such a welcome, but it was fantastic to see Erin Hazler waiting for us! We chatted for a bit, I complained that I wished I’d hit the bathroom one last time, and about then the race started. As we meandered towards the start line, I warned Aaron and Erin that I was going to make a pitstop if I saw a portajohn with a short line before we got to the start line. I found one and told them to go on. Of course, they waited.

The three of us ran together for the first stretch and it was good to have company. Usually, I run my races alone, it helps me to find my “zone” but this time I was appreciating the companionship. My stuffy head was threatening to move into my chest, so I was running with no real expectations other than to see how I felt and take it from there. The rain ponchos didn’t last very long, we’d peeled them off in probably the first half mile. It was only a gentle drizzle and it didn’t take long to get warm enough to want the ponchos gone. As we approached the Southgate bridge, I was pleased with how well I was feeling. Not strong, but at least my head had cleared up and I could breathe. Mile 1 in 11:46.

Since I’d taken the pit stop in the starting corrals, we’d gotten trapped in behind a lot of walkers. At some points, it was tough to even keep an easy jog going due to the traffic. In hindsight, it may be better to make a quick stop on the course than risk getting caught in walking traffic next time. At some point in this second mile, I realized that I’d lost Aaron and Erin as I zigged and zagged around walkers. Aaron ended up catching me again right around the 2 mile mark. Mile 2 in 11:05.

The third mile goes by the hotel where we stayed. Funny how until this year I hadn’t paid much attention to the geography to even notice how close we were to the course! It was raining a little bit steadier at this point, but with the visor on I only noticed it because I could see the raindrops hitting the puddles. It actually felt very nice. The third mile ends midway over the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, which I think is the steepest of the three bridges. Whew, always good to have that behind me! Mile 3 in 10:43.

Aaron was still running with me at this point and I thought he was doing very well. We walked a water stop in this mile, just a quick break and back to running. I don’t remember much else in this stretch, it’s a pretty boring part of the race, I think: nicely warmed up but not starting to get beat up by the hills yet, so it’s easy to just zone out for a bit. Mile 4 in 10:25.

In the fifth mile, Aaron started to fade a bit. We took a couple more walk breaks, then he sent me on ahead. I was torn on whether to go or not, but I decided at that point we were both ready to run our own races. Mile 5 in 12:13.

As the race continued onto Gilbert, I knew that we’d soon be turning to head up to Eden Park. I find this to be the toughest part of the course, the three mile stretch of steady uphill takes a toll. I was feeling ok at this point, but still trying to just take it pretty easy. Just before finishing the 6th mile, the course crosses over Eggleston. As we approached the bridge, we could see the leaders of the half as they were finishing mile 13 of the course! I said something to another runner about how sick that was as we admiringly watched them run by. Wow, I just can’t grasp how a person can run at that pace! Mile 6 in 10:34.

I decided this was a good point to take a gel since we would be hitting some hills soon. I had a tough time getting the gel down, but over about 5 minutes got the job done. I had taken another extended walk break in the process, more out of mental fatigue than anything. I need to work on not getting so wrapped up in how tired I’ll be climbing that hill! The crowds as you turn onto Eden Park Drive are some of the most enthusiastic on the course, so that provides a nice boost as you hit the steepest part of the course. Whew, too bad that I can’t bottle their energy for the whole hill! Mile 7 in 11:56.

I thought that I walked a good bit of this part of the course, but when I reviewed the Garmin data, it looks like I was surprisingly consistent. I don’t have any idea how, I really don’t. Granted it wasn’t fast, but when I compare it to last year’s race I was running it at almost the same exact pace through this part. Considering how crappy this cold had me feeling, that surprises me. We run by a wonderful overlook that gives us a view of the city and river below, almost at the top of the hill now and that provides a boost. Mile 8 in 11:13.

At this point, you aren’t completely done with the hills but the steepest parts are behind you so it’s easier to hold a pace. I know that the downhill is still a mile or so away but it’s getting closer! I feel my legs’ relief at the change in the grade, the fun is going to begin soon. Mile 9 in 10:37.

My feet are really starting to hurt, especially the outer toes of my right foot. It’s definitely worse on an uphill grade, so I walk a short bit on one uphill. The pain is pretty intense, but it almost goes away completely on level to downhill portions. I realize that the exact same thing happened during the Heart Mini in March. I’m not sure why, but I guess it’s just a conditioning issue. I’m glad that we’re almost done with the uphill, because I think the pain would be horrid if I had to keep going uphill. Mile 10 in 10:55.

Miles 11 through the finish are almost a continuous downhill. At this point, I probably have a permanent grin on my face as I visualize my feet turning into wheels. It makes me absolutely giddy, I love LOVE this part! I really feel good running now, in spite of my faster pace, it feels very comfortable. Mile 11 in 9:40.
Although the next mile is still downhill, the grade isn’t quite as steep. This is also the point where there is a short dogleg and for some reason, I hate that little portion. There’s just something a little discouraging about running all the way out just to have a hairpin turn and go back the way you’d come! Mile 12 in 9:53.

Time to bring it in home—last mile, give it all you got! I find out that I ain’t got much left, but I’m working with what I’ve got. I am definitely ready to quit, so I keep reminding myself that I can rest in just a few minutes but for now, keep running. It feels like I’m barely running, yet my Garmin tells me otherwise. Mile 13 in 9:50.

Ugh, last little bit! Keep going, crowds are cheering, my legs are really burning, just go, go, go… I hear a surge in the cheers and realize there is a marathoner coming up on my left. Holy cow, that man is MOVING! I don’t even pretend to hold pace with him, but I see a few other folks showboating and trying. And failing. Ha! I think he was the second place marathoner, absolutely mind-boggling how fast he flew by me! My Garmin is off on the mile splits, so it shows that I ran another 0.28 miles past 13. Last 0.28 mi in 2:42 (9:34/mi).

I get across the Finish Swine (ha), get my medal, grab a cup of water and head back so I can wait for Erin and Aaron to finish. Erin comes in, I madly scream her name but I’m drowned out by the rest of the crowd. A few more minutes, and here comes Aaron! Yes, I admit to getting a bit teary as I saw him approach but then I was too busy screaming my fool head off trying to get his attention. He didn’t hear me, so I took off running along the sidewalk and got to him just after he crossed the last timing mat. I’m so very proud of him! His training was hampered by health issues and he so easily could have changed his entry to a shorter race. I think that’s what I would have done, but he pulled it all together and got the job done!

My official time was 2:23:26. I’m actually shocked that I was only a minute off of last year’s time. While I ran the first half 2 minutes slower than last year, I ran the second half a minute faster than last year. It’s admittedly frustrating that I got sick when I did, but I guess that I’m still proud that I was able to do what I did. Since I wasn’t able to run the Pig the way I’d wanted to (healthy), I signed up to run the Geist Half on the drive home. I’ve got three weeks to get recovered and ready to go. I’m writing this report up on Friday and I am just now feeling good enough to try another run. The cold did move into my chest and Monday through Wednesday were pretty miserable. I think I’m on the mend, now to get ready for the next race!






No comments: