Sunday, January 2, 2011

Trying again

Wow. I have neglected this site for a LONG time, but I am still running. I did go back and grab a few race reports from 2010 to add here, it'll give you a little something to get you caught up with what I'm doing these days. Short version: I've now completed 7 half marathons, 2 marathons and more 5ks than I care to admit to. Next race on the schedule is a 5k in 2 weeks at a conference in Orlando.

I originally started running with one of the "Couch to 5k" type of programs in January 2007. That was the last time I followed a 5k-specific training plan. Ever since then, I've just worked the 5k races into my training schedule for half/full marathons. This time though, I decided to give the 5k some real training. Will it result in a PR? I doubt it, since I'm still rebuilding from last year's injury and more than 3 months off of training. I'm still optimistic that it's a good way to work on my conditioning before jumping into half marathon training and I enjoy the speedwork outside of the context of marathon training. Speedwork's not so horrid when you aren't doing it on the heels of a 17-mile long run 2 days prior!

Spring 2011 plans so far include the IU Mini Marathon on April 2, the Indianapolis Komen Race for the Cure 5k on April 16, and the Flying Pig Half Marathon on May 1. As for marathons, I think I'm going to take a break from those for a while so I can concentrate on improving at shorter distances. My 5k PR is 27:26 (2009) and my half marathon PR is 2:11:27 (2008), I'd like to get both of those improved before I revisit the idea of marathon training. I really like the 5k and the half distances and they don't have such a huge impact on my family life. Not to mention, I can do multiple half marathons within a short timeframe or even on a whim. A marathon? That's about like adding in a part-time job for 4 months!

I got 2011 off to a running start by meeting up with several folks from my running group on New Year's Day morning. We went for 4 to 7 miles (I was in the 4-mile group) and then met back up for a pitch-in breakfast. It's always fun to have a social hour after a run and what a great way to start the new year! As a little bonus, I was able to pick up my "award" from the fall training season. I'd missed the actual presentation at the season-end party, but Mel was kind enough to bring it to the New Year's Run. I'm not certain, but I have a good idea that my race morning outfit for the Indy Monumental may have had something to do with the award. ;)

2 comments:

Steph said...

Christy - how did I not discover your blog a long time ago?! Love it, and I hope you keep it up in 2011 especially when you need a 'lil boost. :) Happy new year!

Christy said...

It was in stealth mode because I'd taken the link down when I quit posting on it. I decided to wake it up and see what happens in 2011. Thanks!