Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Mental Gymnastics of Running

I have been trying to do most of my runs indoors for a few weeks, but it's not just because I'm avoiding the cold. I have a strategy. In 14 days I'm going to be running a 5k and I am doing what I can in a very short time to get ready for it. The catch is that the race will be in Florida and I learned the hard way what happens when I train in freezing temperatures and then attempt a race in warm/humid conditions. It may really be a physical issue of acclimation, but I suspect the mental side may be just as much a factor for me. So, I rationalize that if I do most of my runs indoors, I'm going to have at least one little thing in my favor at the race. Is there really that big of a jump in training in 20-30 degrees and then racing in the 70's? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm hoping for a little bit of the placebo effect. It'll at least eliminate that excuse if I am unhappy with my race day effort.

That's just one of the ways that my mental games can affect my running. During Sunday's 7-mile run I wanted to quit about a mile into it. Honestly, one mile. How sad is that? I was tired, I didn't want to do it, it was late because I'd procrastinated all day long until it was dark, blah, blah, blah. Good or bad, I ended up back at the Y running more laps on the indoor track. Bad because it had been a beautiful day and I'd missed running in the sun. The good part of it was that I was able to break up my run into nice little bite-sized pieces. Just one more lap, just one more lap, just one more lap...repeat about 40 times and I'd "just one more lap"-ed my way the full 7 miles.

I think that the mental side of running is where I need to focus most of my effort this year. I'm not fast and I am not too optimistic about changing that, but I can be better. I just need to keep my brain in the game and the legs will follow.

No comments: