Sunday, June 30, 2013

My 2013 Western States 100 Report

An amazing race was held yesterday in California: the Western States 100.  I did not run it.  My friend, Ben, did.  Here is my report of how the event went.

Friday
Gleefully stalk Facebook to see the pictures posted by Ben's crew of their pre-race adventures. Such beautiful terrain! The forecast looks to be a hot one. I read Ben's pre-race report: it sounds like he is in a good place mentally, which I'm guessing is as important as the physical in an ultra race like this.  I wouldn't know, I've never run this distance! We watch Unbreakable: The Western States 100 for the 4th or 5th time.   I can't begin to comprehend what he is about to start. I'm in awe.


Saturday
8:20 am, EDT:  I wake up.  A millisecond later, I realize that the race has already started and I missed having one last chance to wish Ben good luck! I scramble to Facebook for any info.  There are a few pictures from the starting line, now we just wait for him to roll into the checkpoints for updates. 

9:00 am, EDT: I've gleaned all that I can from Facebook, it'll be a while until Ben hits the first aid station. I drag my lazy butt out of bed.  Ben's been running for an hour. I'm such a slacker. Get breakfast, coffee, back to Facebook.  Steph reports she'll be posting updates on Twitter. Dammit! I swore I'd never have a Twitter account.  Signed up for one so I can keep track of Ben.  This old lady doesn't even know how to tweet...time to learn!

11:00 am, EDT: I'm getting a late start, but I head out to do my own run of the day.  It's a cutback week for me, so I only have 10 miles to do. A tenth of what Ben is doing. Again, I'm such a slacker!  Aaron has been tracking Ben so he is told to text me updates as they come in. I don't know anyone else running the race, but I ask him to monitor a couple of other runners whose names I recognize:  Timothy Olsen, Gordie Ainsley, Hal Koerner, and Catra Corbett.

11:40, EDT: I arrive at Brown County State Park and immediately check for text messages.  Aaron has reports for me on Ben, Gordie, and Catra, hooray!  (Hal and Timothy had already checked in to the first aid station before I left home.) I head out for my own run.  Aaron sends me a couple more updates and I'm excited to hear that Ben is doing well. It sounds like he is running smart and is starting to pass a few folks.  I finish my run knowing that Ben still has a long day and night ahead of him. Wow.

Over the course of the afternoon, we hit the "refresh" button dozens of times as we anxiously wait for updates.  The iPad is constantly tuned to www.wser.org so we can be ready for updates as soon as they come in.  Aaron tries to predict which legs are the tougher ones based on the leaders' paces.  We see that an early leader for the men dropped at mile 47.8 and the drop list is getting longer as the day gets hotter.  Steph reports its hot, REALLY hot: 108*. Oh my yuck. Poor Ben. 

We eat supper. Still tracking.  Timothy Olsen wins the race.  Looks like Ainsley hasn't moved out of his aid station for a while.  Koerner drops at mile 78. Ben is still making progress.  Frantically searching Twitter and Facebook for updates.  

11:30 pm, EDT: I'm starting to get sleepy, we decide to watch an episode of Game of Thrones. I want to stay up as late as I can,  as though somehow my being awake is important to Ben.  Maybe it's just that I feel guilty that I can go to sleep if I want.

Sunday
12:40 am, EDT:  Episode is over, my eyes are fighting to close.  I head to bed, check for more updates and call it a night a bit after 1 am.  Ben is still moving, I'm glad that he has Steph running with him for company.

1:40 am, EDT: I wake up, hit refresh. No news. Back to sleep.

4:00 am, EDT: Wake up again, hit refresh. Yes! More progress! I'm so excited to see he's passed through a couple more aid stations! Not excited enough to stay awake though. Zzz....

7:30 am, EDT:  My alarm goes off, time to get ready for another run.  Ainsley and Catra are confirmed to have dropped out.  Of the runners I was tracking, one won the race, 3 dropped out, and Ben is still running.  I'm torn between staying home to continue tracking or going running.  Aaron promises to update me so I head out, at least this is a short run so I should be home in time for his finish.

9:30 am, EDT: Aaron texts me that Ben has passed through 93.5 miles. I stop running just long enough to read the text, then back at it.  He's really going to finish this. Amazing.

10:50 am, EDT: I'm heading for home, hope I get there in time to catch the finish!

10:56 am, EDT: Aaron texts me again that Ben has now passed through 98.7 miles. He has 1.3 miles to go!!  I had to pull off the road to check the text.  While I was parked, I quickly checked Facebook to see that all of my BARA friends are excitedly cheering him in for the last leg. I get weepy, this is so incredible and I'm not even running! 

I get home and ask Aaron if he's figured out how to get the live feed of the finish to work.  He hasn't, apparently it isn't online. A friend on Facebook lets me know that the Western States Facebook page is showing video clips of every finisher.  Right as I access that, Aaron announces "He's done!" Facebook feed explodes with congrats and I find his finish video. Amazing. Inspiring. Happy. Crying. 

Summary: Ben ran a long time, covered 100 miles, and traversed mountains, canyons, and rivers in near-record heat: the second hottest running of this race.  In that same time frame I woke up, ran, ate lunch, did housework, ran errands, ate dinner, watched tv, went to bed for a good night's sleep, woke up, and ran again.  

Ben, you are a beast!  You worked hard for this and I'm completely thrilled that you had this adventure.  Thank you for taking us along for the run, it was inspiring!  Enjoy the recovery, you've earned a few days of rest. :)




2 comments:

Emily said...

Hahaha I love this concept. Nice race report! I was feeling the same way...

Ben Bartley said...

Thanks for the encouragement and support... I honestly felt bad because I knew people would be losing sleep because of me! I can only imagine what the anxiety of the unknown would be like as my pace slowed and refreshes didn't yield results fast enough. But WE did it! And thanks for sharing your experience too, it was one to remember.