Sunday, July 29, 2012

Taper Time

I'm in the thick of my marathon taper: 2 weeks since my 20-miler, 6 days til race day. Yesterday I had a delightful massage to address the fatigue and tightness that I'd been feeling in my calves. Today, post-massage DOMS. So glad that I allowed plenty of time between massage day and race day! She did pick up on large areas of adhesions and tightness in both calves, working that out was one if those "hurts so good" kind of experiences. I'm thinking a post-race session will be a good idea though.

After spending the summer doing 90% of my long runs on trails, I find that I'm almost dreading moving back to roads for fall training. Maybe after I've recovered, I'll appreciate the easier terrain? I know I'll miss the scenery, the surface, and the shade of the trail but it's a necessary evil I suppose. Then again, it can't hurt to toss in a trail run now and then.

Goals for the marathon? I don't really have them to be honest. It's going to be hot, it's going to be slow, and (I hope) it's going to be an adventure. I anticipate we'll finish between 6 and 7 hours and with big cheesy triumphant grins on our faces. I'm looking forward to Saturday, it's going to be a day to remember.

No comments: