Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Garmin-less Experiment (continued)

So after yesterday's surprising race outcome, I decided to continue the experiment but changed things up a little bit. I did take my Garmin, but set it so that all I could see was elapsed time. Today's plan was to run 1:45, not so much a set distance but time on my feet. Aaron dropped me off downtown and I ran a loop around campus, then turned south on the B-Line to meet up with him. It was another gorgeous day for a run and I started around 3:00 pm. I think everyone and their brother and their brother's dog was out for a run today!

I felt absolutely fantastic for the first 6 miles, running what felt like a very easy pace and very comfortable. Just after completing the 6th mile though, I began to have some serious questions about my lunch choices. Whatever made me think that I could start my long run 45 minutes after downing most of a Greek calzone? And two slices of cheesy garlic bread? OMG, what had I been thinking...ugh, bad BAD idea. Detoured to the Winslow Rd Burger King to tend to some GI turbulence. Texted Aaron to find out he was starting at Church Lane and heading north to meet me. I felt better so back to the rail trail. As soon as I turned onto the rail trail itself, I spotted another family out enjoying the beautiful day. I'm not so sure that they enjoyed me gawking and staring, much less taking their picture. I think that I gave them the creeps because they decided to abandon the trail after I took their picture.



I ran about another quarter mile before I was forced to walk again. And that's how the rest of the run went: walk a quarter, run a quarter. My stomach was trying to stage a coup and I wasn't going to let it win. *burp* I didn't manage to finish out the planned 1:45 run thanks to the rebellious calzone, but knew it was time to call it quits.

Once I got home, I checked out the Garmin stats. In spite of my feeble running for the last mile, I'd averaged an 11:03 pace for the 7.25 miles. Really?? Yep, really and truly and for 4 miles I'd been around a 10:30 pace. Stupid calzone. Lesson learned. Again.

No comments: